This Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Casserole will make mealtime easy, delicious, and comforting. A recipe packed with vegetables, cheese, and ground beef, an ideal all-in-one meal to satisfy any comfort food craving. Not only is this dish quick and lazy, our unstuffed cabbage rolls casserole is low carb and keto friendly.
Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Casserole
A super delicious, hearty comfort food based off the classic stuffed cabbage rolls. With this recipe there is no steaming leaves and rolling involved. We are super lazy about it and don't care! Brown that ground beef, chop up that cabbage and get everything ready to throw in the casserole dish. Lazy Cabbage Rolls Casserole comes together easy and fast.
What is Keto Stuffed Cabbage
Stuffed cabbage is a classic dish that some would say is a retro recipe from the 70's. And Served up at diners and on family dinner tables for years. It starts with ground beef and white rice rolled up into steamed cabbage leaves and covered with tomato sauce. Keto Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls is not much different. On the keto diet of course rice is a no-no, so to make this dish keto and low carb approved we swapped out the rice for cauliflower rice. If you don't eat low carb or keto just use rice. Because it can become mushy easily, the trick is to not pre-cook the cauliflower. Use a grater or very finely chop your head of cauliflower, this makes it much easier.
Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Recipe
Cabbage used to get a bad name, but recipes like Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls Casserole totally changes minds. The combination of tomatoes, onions, ground beef, and cheese turn cabbage into a carrier for a casserole that is delicious. There is just enough texture in the cabbage to make it almost feel like pasta.
Can I Use Red Cabbage in This Recipe?
Typically a cabbage soup, cabbage roll, or cabbage casserole like this one will have green cabbage as the base. In the past, I have found red cabbage to be on sale when I wanted to make this dish, and used it in place of green cabbage.
The difference it makes is mostly a visual difference. Yes, red cabbage has a slightly stronger flavor, but not enough to change the over taste and consistency of this dish. If you eat with your eyes as many say you do, then you'll probably find it looks less appealing when using red cabbage.
What To Serve With Lazy Cabbage Rolls Casserole
For those who are following a low-carb or keto lifestyle, this is probably all you will serve for yourself. It's a great one-dish meal, but if you want more, an added serving of broccoli, cauliflower, or asparagus is a good choice.
If carbohydrates aren't a concern, then this unstuffed cabbage roll casserole is a great choice to serve over some rice, or with a side of crusty bread for dipping into the delicious sauce and juices the tomatoes and beef create.
Can Cabbage Casserole be Frozen?
To freeze this keto stuffed cabbage casserole, we recommend using a disposable baking dish so you aren't tying up one of your casserole dishes. Cook up until putting in the oven, and then assemble in the disposable pan. Allow the mixture to cool completely, then cover, label with the date and recipe along with directions for baking. Then you can freeze for up to four months.
When you are ready to cook, I recommend letting this thaw overnight in the refrigerator before putting in the oven and cooking as directed. If you want to cook from frozen, add an additional 30 minutes to your cook time.
More Keto Friendly Recipes
If you are creating a meal plan, you'll love these other keto and low-carb recipes. These are some of our family favorites that please even the pickiest person at our table.
- My Instant Pot Peanut Chicken is a perfect example of a deliciously easy meal that everyone enjoys. Perfect served with veggies and cauliflower rice.
- If you prefer beef, then you'll fall in love with this easy Keto Ground Beef Casserole. You can't go wrong serving it to your family.
- Of course, for those who want something lighter, then you'll love this Keto Southwestern Quiche recipe. A perfect meal for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
More Of Our Dinner Recipes
How to Make an Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup Cauliflower Rice, not pre cooked
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 head cabbage, cored and chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9x13 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a stock pot or dutch oven, cook ground beef and onions over medium heat until the beef has browned and crumbled. Stir in the garlic. Drain well and return to pot.
- To the beef, add the tomatoes and seasonings. Stir to combine.
- Add cabbage over the sauce and cover the pot to help the cabbage begin to reduce. Stir occasionally until the cabbage begins to wilt.
- Transfer the cabbage mixture to the casserole dish. Stir in cauliflower rice. Top with cheese.
- Bake covered with aluminum foil for 20 minutes. Remove foil, add cheese and cook for an additional 5 to 10 minutes uncovered.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 258Total Fat: 15gCarbohydrates: 8gNet Carbohydrates: 4gFiber: 4gProtein: 21g
Nutrition facts are auto- populated by the app for this recipe card, numbers may vary. For best results, input your exact brand ingredients into a recipe analyzer like Verywell or MyFitnessPal.
Owner & Lead Recipe Developer for It's Simple! since 2015, where you will find our best Family Favorites & Keto Low Carb Dishes with Helpful Cooking Tips & Hints in each post. Many Thanks for Stopping By, Enjoy!