Our slow cooker pork shoulder is juicy, sweet, spicy and smokey, Everything you want in a BBQ pork. Perfect for any time of year!
Slow Cooker Pork Shoulder
*UPDATE* There is an issue with the recipe card updating to add a missing step- the BBQ sauce goes in the slow cooker after pulling and shredding. Serve or set slow cooker to "keep warm".
This slow cooker pork recipe has everything you love about BBQ pork shoulder. It is a touch sweet, spicy, sticky and even smokey. Over the years I have mastered a pork rub and a process that creates the most juicy amazing pork ever. This rub is great on ribs, pork chops, boneless loin, shoulder and really any cut of pork you want to use.
The Best Slow Cooker Pork Shoulder
Our slow cooker pork shoulder is fantastic, but maybe you are not a fan of pork? Or maybe you are just in the mood for chicken- try this amazing 5 Ingredient Slow Cooker Sriracha Chicken!
The key to getting this meat just right is searing it prior to putting in. The sear locks in juices and creates a yummy crusty outer layer that will get caramelized and sticky during cooking.
Oven Method for our BBQ Pork
If you don't have a slow cooker or prefer the oven method follow these instructions:
Preheat the oven to 450.
Rub pork shoulder with Olive oil and rub recipe.
Cook for 15 minutes uncovered. Flip. Cook an additional 15 minutes.
Reduce to 300, cover with foil and cook for 2 hours or until tender and falling apart.
Try this too! Kale Slaw , it makes a perfect side dish for our slow cooker pork! Made with an amazing cole slaw dressing that tastes like KFC's. Don't worry, if you aren't into kale simply use a bag of precut cole slaw veggies from the produce section of your local grocery store. They are very handy!
- 1 3-4 lb pork shoulder
- 1 cup brown sugar, light not packed
- 1 tablespoon Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Cayenne
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon Sea Salt
- 1 tablespoon Pepper
- Olive oil
- Your favorite BBQ sauce
- Pat the pork shoulder dry with paper towels.
- Drizzle with Olive oil, rub with a liberal amount of pork rub mixture.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat, drizzle with Olive oil.
- Sear each side of the shoulder for 2-3 minutes or until the meat gets a light char.
- NOTE* you may have heard not to cook with sugar based rubs and sauces because they burn. If you make sure not to over heat this will not happen. Instead you will get a nice crusty outer!
- Place shoulder in slow cooker on high for 30 minutes.
- Reduce to low for 5-6 hours or until tender and falling apart and internal temperature taken near the bone has reached at least 190 degrees.
- NOTE* pork does not pull or shred until it has been cooked slowly to a temperature of 195.
- Chop or shred.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 250
Owner & Lead Recipe Developer for It's Simple! since 2015, where you will find our best Family Favorites & Keto Low Carb Dishes with Helpful Cooking Tips & Hints in each post. Many Thanks for Stopping By, Enjoy!