Keto Chocolate Cake with a rich chocolate cream cheese frosting is everything you've wished for in a low carb dessert, and more! This easy to follow recipe uses almond flour, unsweetened cocoa, and monk fruit sweetener to give you the perfect low carb chocolate cake to feed your cravings. The addition of cream cheese into this keto chocolate frosting is what takes it over the top.
Keto Chocolate Cake
Cake sounds like something that should be off-limits if you are following a keto or low-carb diet. This recipe makes that no longer an issue! Our keto chocolate cake with approved keto chocolate frosting is a death by chocolate dessert that will help keep you on track.
Following a keto diet means you need to account for the carbs in your diet. Every person has a unique set of macros, but most following a strict keto diet will aim to eat fewer than 30 grams of carbohydrates per day, with many focused on less than 20.
Thankfully, this crowd-pleasing low carb chocolate cake is easy to fit into your macros, no matter how strict you may be!
What Makes This Low Carb Chocolate Cake Chocolately?
Unsweetened cocoa powder is a keto-friendly zero carb option to add that chocolate goodness to any recipe. The combination of it with sweeteners that are keto-approved gives you that rich chocolate you are craving.
Other options are sugar-free chocolate chips and syrups, or some dark chocolates that have no added sugars. Always make sure to check the ingredients lists to find the best for your diet needs and macros.
Lily's chocolates have several excellent sugar-free chocolate chips and bar options that work well in recipes or for a sweet treat.
What Flour is Used in Keto Diet?
For this recipe, I have used almond flour. It's a great choice that adapts easily to most recipes. Some find it a bit denser when used in recipes, but I have found when done correctly, it's a perfect substitute.
Other common keto-friendly flours are coconut flour, psyllium husk, ground flax, or almond meal. You can also readily find keto-friendly baking mix blends that are 1:1 with other flours. Our Keto Chocolate Cake just uses simple almond flour.
I highly recommend trying a variety of flour substitutes in small batches until you find the one you prefer. Just because I prefer one doesn't mean that it will suit your preferences. Each one gives a slightly different texture and flavor, so it is well worth testing before deciding your favorite.
What Kind of Sweetener Works for Keto Chocolate Cake?
I personally prefer the results of cooking with a monk fruit sweetener. It is readily available, affordable, and doesn't leave an after taste or cause stomach upset like some others have in the past.
Other sweeteners that are popular for a keto or low-carb diet:
- Xylitol (may cause upset stomach)
Popular brand names for sweeteners I prefer are Swerve and Lakanto.
What's The Best Keto Icing for Chocolate Cake?
This cake is delicious enough that you really don't have to have frosting, but I love this rich cream cheese option. It really complements the recipe.
When making keto chocolate cake and other treats, you'll want to play with different recipes to find your go-to frosting. This recipe is great because of the rich cream cheese masks any taste or texture issue from the sweetener.
Some other frosting options:
- Melted sugar-free chocolate.
- Sugar-free buttercream using butter and powdered Erythritol.
- The peanut butter filling from my chocolate peanut butter whoopie pie recipe.
- Whipped cream.
More Keto Dessert Ideas
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Fat Bombs | Fat bombs are a great way to stay satisfied and to soothe that sweet tooth. This recipe is a favorite as it feels like I am eating raw cookie dough!
- Keto Low Carb Chocolate Chip Cookies | Cookies are a must, and making them low-carb just got easier. Classic chocolate chip cookies are a simple addition to any meal plan, even when on a keto diet.
- Peanut Butter Keto Blondies | Peanut butter is always at the top of my list, and this recipe for blondies hits the spot every time.
- Keto Cheesecake Shooters | Cheesecake is probably the reason I can stick with keto so well, and this recipe is portion controlled and delicious!
Making our Easy Cake Recipe
More Amazing Chocolate Keto Recipes
- Easy Keto Chocolate Nut Clusters
- Keto Chocolate Cheesecake
- Low Carb Keto Chocolate PB Whoopie Pies
- Keto Double Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding
- Keto Chocolate Brownie Donuts
Keto Chocolate Cake Recipe
Keto Chocolate Cake is fast and easy to make with my tried and true recipe! Packed with rich chocolate and a delicious cream cheese chocolate icing!
- For the cake:
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated monkfruit sweetener
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- For the frosting:
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup powdered monkfruit sweetener
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9x9 square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Add a layer of parchment paper and then spray with nonstick cooking spray again.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients for the cake (almond flour, baking powder, sweetener, and cocoa powder).
- In a separate bowl, beat together the butter, vanilla, eggs and almond milk.
- Combine the dry and liquid ingredients until just blended. Pour into the baking dish and spread evenly.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Once the cake is done cooking, remove it from the oven and cool. For the best results, I recommend placing in the refrigerator overnight.
- To prepare the frosting, you will beat together the butter and cream cheese, then add in the vanilla, cocoa powder, and sweetener. Finally, add in the whipping cream until it reaches your preferred consistency.
- Remove the cake from the baking pan using the layer of parchment paper. Once you lift it out of the pan, you will smooth the frosting over the top before cutting and serving.
Optional: Add shaved sugar-free chocolate to the top
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 226Total Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gCarbohydrates: 8gNet Carbohydrates: 4gFiber: 4gProtein: 8g
Nutrition facts are auto- populated by the app for this recipe card, numbers may vary. For best results, input your exact brand ingredients into a recipe analyzer like Verywell or MyFitnessPal.
Owner & Lead Recipe Developer for It's Simple! since 2015, where you will find our best Family Favorites & Keto Low Carb Dishes with Helpful Cooking Tips & Hints in each post. Many Thanks for Stopping By, Enjoy!