Super Simple Homemade Blueberry Pie With Lattice Crust
It is blueberry season here in Maine and we picked a lot of blueberries this year! Usually we just freeze them to use for smoothies or pancakes, but this year we decided to experiment with a lot of different recipes. I have always been pretty picky about my fruit pies and never really cared for blueberry pie. My 16 yr old daughter found this recipe and made it all by herself, it came out fantastic. So much so that we finished it that evening and made another one the next day.
This is an extremely simple recipe, you can skip the lattice crust and make your own design or just go regular full top crust. Here is a great video on how to make a lattice crust by Pillsbury
- 2 refrigerator crusts (or make your own)
- 1 quart of blueberries
- ¾ cup of white sugar
- 3 tablespoons of corn starch or 6 tablespoons of flour (2 to 1 ratio on flour as a starch substitute)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cinnamon
- Pre-heat the oven to 400
- Wash blueberries
- Pre- bake bottom crust on 400 for 10 mins
- Mix sugar, cornstarch/flour, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl until combined
- Add the blueberries and mix well, being careful not to squish the blueberries.
- Pour directly into the bottom crust and spread around evenly
- Add your top crust
- Bake on 400 for 40-50 mins, times will vary by oven and altitude
- To make the lattice crust, simply use a butter knife or pizza cutter to cut the top crust into strips about an inch wide. Lay them out across the pie in one direction, then in the opposite direction weaving over and under like a basket.