Our Amazing Keto Sugar Cookie Recipe utilizes the famous Fat Head Dough making them easy to roll out for cookie cutters OR slice n bake.
What is Fathead Dough
If you eat keto or low carb you have most likely heard of fathead (or fat head) dough. For those who haven't- fathead dough is typically made with almond or coconut flour and uses a melted mozzarella cream cheese mixture to act as a gluten. The cheeses are mixed into almond flour with eggs to form the dough. After baking and setting to cool, the mozzarella in the dough recipe hardens up and creates density, holding together pizza crusts, breads and ... cookies!
Keto Sugar Cookies using Fathead Dough
I love the concept of fathead dough and because the mozzarella lends no flavor, I decided to experiment using it in sweet applications, like these cookies. See, Fathead dough uses a melted mixture of cream cheese and mozzarella to create the gluten missing from low carb flour such as almond flour. It helps give a more realistic texture that holds up instead of crumbling. I have used fathead dough for cookies, dessert bars, homemade calzones, hot pockets, and now cookies. You basically can't go wrong with this dough.
Using this Recipe for Keto Christmas Cookies
My keto fathead sugar cookie recipe worked out beautifully. It has the soft, buttery texture of regular sugar cookie dough and can even be rolled out to use with cookie cutters. To use this recipe for keto Christmas cookies refrigerate as direct below then:
- Dust a flat surface with almond flour or use parchment paper.
- Roll the dough out to about ½" thick.
- Cut with your favorite cookie cutters.
- Use a spatula to lift the cookies and place on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake as directed below in the recipe card.
- OR Slice and Bake, then frost with seasonal colors and sugar free sprinkles.
Making Our Recipe
(Full Recipe Card Below)
Melt cream cheese and mozzarella in a small bowl, microwaved for 1 minute. Mix well to combine.
In a separate bowl cream butter, sweetener, vanilla and egg whites. Add baking powder and almond flour, continue mixing. Mixture will be crumbly.
Add cream cheese mixture to the flour mixture. Stir. Hand work dough until fully combined Shape into a ball. Let rest 5 minutes.
Shape into a cylinder (like store bought cookie dough) , refrigerate 30 mins.
Cut into 12 slices. Bake on 350 in a preheated oven for 15-18 mins.
Cool on rack. Serve!
These cookies are delicious as is, but they are a blank canvas. There are so many things to do with them. I am thinking sugar free caramel and toasted coconut right now. Omg.
Serving Suggestion for Keto Christmas Cookies
If you want to gift or bring these cookies to a Christmas function, people may not even realize they are keto.
- Melt sugar free chocolate chips add a little heavy cream and make a ganache. Either drizzle the cookies with chocolate or dip one side.
- OR use Choc Zero white melts, dip a side of the cookie then top with slivered almonds and powdered sugar.
You can also try our amazing Low Carb Chocolate Chip Cookies
More Amazing Recipes that Use Fathead Dough
- It wouldn't be proper to not add a pizza recipe here since that is where it all started, this pulled pork pizza is to die for.
- We might as well share our original fathead dough recipe, this can be used as a base for so many things! The king of keto crusts.
- Another sweet application that fathead dough is our highly rated Blueberry Bars.
Be sure to follow us on Facebook!
- 2 ounces Cream Cheese
- 1 cup Mozzarella, shredded
- 3 tablespoon Real Butter, softened
- ½ cup Swerve Sweetener
- 2 Egg Whites
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Almond Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- Melt cream cheese and mozzarella in a small bowl, microwaved for 1 minute. Mix well to combine.
- In a separate bowl cream butter, sweetener, vanilla and egg whites. Add baking powder and almond flour, continue mixing. Mixture will be crumbly.
- Add cream cheese mixture to the flour mixture. Stir. Hand work dough until fully combined Shape into a ball. Let rest 5 minutes.
- Shape into a cylinder (like store bought cookie dough) , refrigerate 30 mins.
- Cut into 12 slices. Bake on 350 in a preheated oven for 15-18 mins.
- Cool on rack. Serve!
Recipes makes 12 cookies.
Serving size- 1 cookie. 1.3 net carbs per serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 126Total Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gCarbohydrates: 3gNet Carbohydrates: 1.3gFiber: 1.7gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g
Nutrition facts are auto- populated by the app for this recipe card, numbers may vary. For best results, input your exact brand ingredients into a recipe analyzer like Verywell or MyFitnessPal.
Owner & Lead Recipe Developer for It's Simple! since 2015, where you will find our best Family Favorites & Keto Low Carb Dishes with Helpful Cooking Tips & Hints in each post. Many Thanks for Stopping By, Enjoy!