This post may contain affiliate or paid links. See our full disclosure at the bottom of this page for more information. ............................................................................................................................................................
These Fathead blueberry bars are an easy dessert that I bet you thought you couldn’t have on the low carb/ keto diet. With this dough it is possible. The famous fathead dough makes it’s appearance again in a sweet dish this time. Grab the recipe below.
Fathead Blueberry Bars
I love taking the family out blueberry picking and lucky me, I happen to be in the right place. Maine is famous for a lot of things, but it’s wild blueberries definitely top the list. We have both high bush and low bush close by so the variety is grand.
These fathead blueberry bars are sort of like your traditional fruit square only the recipe has been adjusted to a low carb version. I chose blueberries because they are allowed in moderation on low carb and keto. The dough is a pastry style version of the famous fathead dough. Fathead is a gluten free dough typically made with almond or coconut flour. Melted mozzarella cheese is used to give it substance similar to a gluten. The “cheese” taste tends to fade.
I like to make a pan and cut them into snack bars I can have on hand for a quick bite. They freeze really well.
Learn how to grow blueberries at home! Blueberries
We have a few bushes in our garden and let me tell you this… if you like blueberries there is absolutely nothing like being able to pick them fresh. We use them in or on everything.
Be sure to try our keto snickerdoodle cheesecake bars!
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 1/2 stick butter, SOFTENED NOT MELTED
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup sweetener
- 1 1/4 c almond flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- zest of lemon
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cup mozzarella
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 tsp xantham gum
- In a microwave safe dish, melt mozzarella and cream cheese. Stir until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter, egg, almond flour, vanilla, sweetener, cinnamon and sour cream.
- Combine cheese mixture into batter until a soft dough forms.
- If dough is sticky, add more almond flour. Until dough resembles a spoonable cookie dough like texture.
- Spoon onto parchment paper or plastic wrap. Roll into ball, wrap and refrigerate while preparing blueberries.
- *****Dough MUST get cold or it will be too sticky******
- In a sauce pan over medium low heat, start cooking down blueberries. Mix often. When enough juice has formed that they will not scorch to the bottom, bring to a boil. Mixing often.
- Stir in xantham gum. When sauce thickens, reduce to simmer.
- Sauce should have a filling texture like if you had used cornstarch.
- Add lemon zest. Stir. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Press 3/4 of the dough into greased 8x8 or 9x9 pan. Bake 10 mins.
- Allow to cool for 5 mins or until the sides recede.
- Spoon blueberry mixture into crust. Spread evenly. Top with pieces of remaining dough.
- Bake for 10-15 more minutes or until golden brown and set.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 159