A Keto Overnight Breakfast Casserole is the ideal way to start your day. This sausage breakfast casserole has tons of flavor from the sausage while adding in a great portion of vegetables all in one bite. If you are looking for a baked breakfast casserole, then this one is a perfect choice that feeds a crowd. So if keto breakfast recipes are your biggest issue with the way of eating, start here!
Overnight Breakfast Casserole
Breakfast casseroles are always a huge hit in my menu plan. I know I can do all of the prep the night before and just cover them in the refrigerator to pop into the oven when I wake up. By the time I have my shower and first cup of coffee, it's almost ready to pull from the oven and serve.
Do I Have to Use Sausage in This Baked Breakfast Casserole?
If you don't care for sausage, you can definitely substitute in some bacon or ham in this recipe. You could even use basic ground beef and season with your favorite blend of spices. Sausage is not a must for this overnight breakfast casserole.
To add back some of the flavors, you could play with spices like a taco seasoning, cajun seasoning, or even a hint of barbecue seasoning. There are tons of options to add flavor without using sausage while still keeping this a keto-friendly breakfast.
Can I Freeze Sausage Egg Bake?
Yes! Not only is this a great make-ahead meal to have a hot breakfast in the morning, but it also freezes beautifully for future meals. That is a great bonus for busy families who like to keep easy meals on hand at all times.
To freeze this recipe, you can assemble everything up to the baking process, and pour it into a disposable baking dish then cover well. I like to wrap the entire pan in saran wrap, then a layer of aluminum foil over the top of that. Make sure you label and date the recipe.
The night before you want to make this, pull from the freezer and place it in the refrigerator to then pop into the oven in the morning. When you bake it from frozen, you may need to cook for an additional 10 minutes. Just watch for the casserole to set in the middle.
Want More Keto Breakfast Recipes?
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and a keto breakfast is super easy to manage. Thankfully, one of the best things about low carb or keto diet is that breakfast is so easy to manage! Below are some of my favorite options for starting my day off on the right track that isn't this overnight breakfast casserole.
- If you want a fast and easy on the go breakfast, these no-bake keto peanut butter balls are a must. They are easy to grab on the way out the door, super yummy, and easy to make.
- Another easy egg-based option that can be breakfast, lunch, or dinner is my delicious keto southwestern quiche recipe. Loaded with protein and veggies!
- For those who prefer a sweet breakfast, these keto classic cinnamon sugar muffins are amazing. Plus, perfect for making ahead of time! If you like muffins, you might also want to check out these keto strawberry muffins.
- Perhaps one of the best choices, though, are these keto stuffed biscuits! So easy, fun, and packed with flavor.
How to Make an Overnight Breakfast Casserole
Full printable recipe card below.
- 1 (16 ounce) roll sausage
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cauliflower, cored and cubed into 1 to ½ inch pieces
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- 10 eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- HINT: feel free to play with the seasonings by adding your own, like taco or Italian.
- In a large skillet, brown sausage, crumbling into small pieces. Transfer sausage to paper toweling to drain.
- Mix cooked sausage in with the cauliflower and other veggies and add to baking dish. Top with the cheese.
- In a large bowl, whisk together seasonings, eggs, and heavy cream. Pour evenly over the cheese.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap or foil and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next morning- preheat oven to 350, bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until the center is set. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Cut into 12 equal squares, 3 x 4 .
If you do not wish to bake the casserole the next morning, bake the same day and refrigerate. Casserole is great cold or warmed up the next day.
To freeze- after baking, let cool then cut and wrap or place in air tight container in individual servings. Reheat in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time until desired temperature is reached.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 225Total Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gSodium: 463mgCarbohydrates: 5gNet Carbohydrates: 2gFiber: 3gSugar: 0gProtein: 13g
Nutrition facts are auto- populated by the app for this recipe card, numbers may vary. For best results, input your exact brand ingredients into a recipe analyzer like Verywell or MyFitnessPal.