Chicken Divan is a mouth watering, creamy, cheesy chicken and rice recipe that is perfect for family dinners. It is an easy to make, quick comfort food to feed an army. A classic everyone will love.
When I was growing up, my mother would struggle making dinner each night because she was always short on time. She worked in a salon which meant some late nights. One on her favorite (and mine!) dishes to make was Chicken Divan. Not only was it quick, but there were always leftovers for the next evening, a true comfort food.
A Childhood Classic
I loved when Chicken Divan was on the menu, that meant I got to help her cook! It was so easy, she basically handed me the ingredients and I put it together with her supervision. We sat down as a family each night for dinner, no matter what anyone's schedule was like.
Passing it on to my daughter
My 13 year old daughter can be such a picky eater that some nights I have to make a second meal for her. I just don't have the time to cook twice. So, for the last year I have been teaching her various kitchen techniques and giving her tasks when I cook. Now, she can make beginner dishes and even helps her dad!
The first dish I taught her- mom's Chicken Divan of course! The only difference between my version and mom's is that mine takes less time. It can be tough getting back into the school routine, saving time anywhere I can helps tons. Mom would have to cook rice first which added an extra 15-20 minutes. Instead, I use Uncle Ben's Ready Rice to help speed things up.
A variety of Uncle Ben's Ready Rice can be found at Walmart in the pasta and rice aisle.
On To The Recipe
Here is my version of Chicken Divan- easy, quick, kid friendly and the perfect beginner dish to get those kiddos cooking in the kitchen, enjoy!
(Full printable recipe below) Serves 6
Gather all your ingredients- chopped cooked chicken, broccoli, Uncle Ben's Ready Rice, cream of chicken soup, milk and cheddar cheese.
Pour milk and cream soup into casserole dish. Mix well. Add one package of rice. Mix.
Add remaining ingredients in layers: broccoli, second package of rice. ½ the cheese, chicken and remaining cheese.
Finish with a bread crumb topping!
Bake on 400° for 20 minutes. Scoop to serve!
Do you have a family dish from your childhood that you passed on to your children? What is your favorite dish to make with the kiddos? Let us know by commenting below!
More Amazing Dinner Recipes
- Pork Pie- Grandma's Tourtiere Recipe
- Instant Pot Peanut Chicken
- Slow Cooker Keto Meatloaf
- Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
- 2 Pouches Uncle Ben's Ready Rice , Chicken or Cheese
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can milk, (use soup can to measure)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped broccoli, from frozen, thawed
- 1 Rotisserie chicken OR 2 pre cooked breasts, cooked, pulled/chopped
- ¾ cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoon butter, melted
- CLICK PIN TO VISIT SITE FOR FULL RECIPE
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Pour milk and cream soup into casserole dish. Mix well.
- Add one package of rice. Mix.
- Add remaining ingredients in layers: broccoli, second package of rice.
- ½ the cheese, chicken and remaining cheese.
- Mix bread crumbs into the melted butter. sprinkle all over the top.
- Bake on 400 for 20 min. Let stand 5 mins. Scoop and serve!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 300
Owner & Lead Recipe Developer for It's Simple! since 2015, where you will find our best Family Favorites & Keto Low Carb Dishes with Helpful Cooking Tips & Hints in each post. Many Thanks for Stopping By, Enjoy!