This post may contain affiliate or paid links. See our full disclosure at the bottom of this page for more information. ............................................................................................................................................................
If you are a fan of the classic French Onion Soup Recipe then you absolutely have to try these beef sliders. Slow caramelized onions, gooey melted provolone cheese and an amazing Au Jus to dip them in! Come see how easy they are to make.
French Onion Soup Recipe
Beef Slider Style!
One of my favorite winter comfort foods is soup. I learned how to make my first french onion soup recipe years ago using a recipe I found from a magazine (which I have since misplaced, so sad!). It took me a few times and putting my memory to the test to recreate it. The soup was so delicious it inspired me to make these beef sliders.
We had a few friends over to watch football and these burgers blew them away. They liked that they were a step up from the traditional “game day” food of buffalo chicken or potato skins. After explaining how easy they were to make it was an even bigger shock!
Here is how (full printable recipe card below)
Note* I made my own beef stock which is why you see carrots and onions in the liquid. You can skip this step and just use a store bought broth.
- Add broth and seasonings to a sauce pan. Heat to boil, reduce to simmer. Let simmer while preparing burgers and caramelizing onions.
- Slice onions, start slowly cooking them down in a skillet with butter. Stir often. Heat should be on medium low. Onions should be “sweating” (slowly releasing their moisture) not sauteing (sizzling and gaining a quick brown color). Caramelizing occurs when the moisture cooks out and sugars are slowly thickening.
- Combine all burger ingredients in a bowl, mix well. Hand shape patties into a size that best fits your bread.
- Bake or grill burger patties to desired temperature (I usually cook to medium)
- Slice bread, we used a baguette. It holds up the Au Jus dip and has a soft center with crunchy edges!
Assemble your sliders:
- Butter a sheet pan
- Place bottom bread slices on the sheet pan
- Top with provolone cheese, burger patty, caramelized onions and more cheese
- Add the top bread slice and a skewer to hold in place
- Bake until cheese is melted
- Serve with Au Jus on the side
Now dip those sliders in Au Jus and enjoy!
TIP* to turn this into a hearty meal simply simmer the cooked beef patties in the Au Jus with the caramelized onions and serve over creamy mashed potatoes!
PIN FOR LATER!
More about the origin of the classic French Onion Soup Recipe here from Culture Trip.
Another great game day recipe- includes video tutorial!
French Onion Soup Beef Sliders
- Beef Patties:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- pinch salt & pepper
- Caramelized Onions:
- 2 vidalia onions thin sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Au Jus:
- 12 oz beef broth
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 Baguette
- 6 slices of provolone cut in 1/4's
- Preheat the oven to 400
- Add Au Jus ingredients to a sauce pot, bring to boil and reduce to simmer.
- In a large skillet start butter melting over medium low heat. Add onion slices, stir often. Continue sweating onions until brown and caramelized.
- Combine all patty ingredients in a bowl , mix well. Shape into patties the slice of your bread.
- Place on sheet pan and bake until desired temperature is reached (we cooked to medium) about 10 minutes for 3" , 1" thick patties.
- Assemble sliders by building bread, cheese, patty, onions, cheese, bread.
- Place back on sheet pan and bake until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
- Serve with Au Jus for dipping