Our slow cooker lentil soup is a great addition to your comfort food recipe list. Made in the slow cooker, you can add the ingredients in the morning and come home to a hearty meal!
Slow Cooker Lentil Soup
Soups, stews, chowders and the like are on my go to list of things to make when we are tired of “regular meals”. You know, like pork chops with green beans, steak and potatoes, pizza and etc. Ok… well it takes a bit for me to get sick of pizza.
I have a recipe arsenal loaded with soup recipes like this hearty slow cooker lentil soup. This version was made on one of those “use up what we have, I need to do groceries” days. Since then I have made slightly different versions, but the broth and lentils are always the same. Have fun and experiment with your own versions too.
Making our slow cooker lentil soup
- 1 pound of ground Chicken Sausage, cooked
- 1 pound of brown lentil beans, rinsed
- 6 cups of low sodium chicken broth
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 teaspoons of Italian seasoning
- 2 cups of kale, rinsed and chopped, stems removed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Set slow cooker to high. Add sausage, celery and onions with seasoning except bay leaf. Mix well.
- Add tomatoes
- Ad remaining ingredients EXCEPT the kale and salt. Omit the salt until the end so that you can taste and be sure the soup needs it.
- Cover and set to either HIGH for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. In the last 20 minutes add the kale and cook until softened.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 250
Try another amazing dish! Our Instant Pot Jamaican Pork