Low Fat Banana Bread With Toasted Coconut Streusel Topping
This is my favorite banana bread recipe. It was given to me by a co-worker a few years ago. She brought the bread into work one day and asked if I would like a piece. I declined, I was never really a huge fan of banana bread. My co-worker insisted I try it and said that no matter what, I would like hers. I did. She didn't lie. I was shocked. She gave me a copy of the recipe and I have been making it this way since. The only adjustment I made , is the toasted coconut streusel topping. I absolutely love toasted coconut and believe it is very under used. I also cut down on the oil and added applesauce to make this a lower fat version. It actually enhances the flavor nicely.
What I like the most about this recipe is that it contains no walnuts. I like walnuts in certain things, just not banana bread. I know, weird right? The other thing is that this is prepared and cut more like a carrot cake and not sliced like bread. This recipe is baked in a large 13x9 pan, so this easily will serve 12 people.
It is delicious, you have to try it. Use the comment section below to let me know what you think.
- 1 ½ Cups mashed banana, 4 medium
- ½ Cup of Applesauce, any kind
- 1 Cup of Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ Cup of vegetable oil
- 2 Cups of All Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- For the topping:
- Cut 2 tablespoons of butter into ½ Cup each of quick or rolled oats, brown sugar and coconut.
- Preheat the oven to 350
- In a large bowl beat the eggs, sugar, banana and applesauce until blended well.
- Add the oil and mix
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well
- Pour batter into a greased 9x13 pan
- Sprinkle topping all over, bake on 350 for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cooking times may vary.