Whip up this broccoli cheese low carb cornbread! This is an almond flour cornbread that has coconut flour as well, cheese and of course tender broccoli florets. A tasty and low carb side dish to serve up your family or friends.
Broccoli cheddar cornbread is great to serve next to a bowl of soup, hearty chili, or even something like meatloaf or pork chops. Slather on some butter and call it a winning dish.
Low Carb Cornbread
I know it is weird to call it cornbread when there is no corn in the recipe. This low carb cornbread is made with almond flour and coconut flour to help give you the texture of cornbread you grew up eating.
Cornbread is traditionally full of tons of carbs, sugar and doesn't fit the low carb world. So using this recipe allows you to enjoy your recipe but with some adaptions to fit your lifestyle. BUT, even if you are not on the low carb diet, you will still really enjoy this recipe.
Fresh or Frozen Broccoli for Broccoli Cheese Cornbread
Either! You want to roughly chop your broccoli so that it is in smaller pieces so you don't bite into a huge chunk of cornbread. So you are welcome to use fresh or frozen in this recipe. If you use frozen you can dice it up frozen or allow it to thaw and then chop. The choice is up to you.
Can I Substitute Cheddar Cheese
Sure, if you want to use a different flavor of cheese go right ahead. A pepper jack could add a nice kick of heat, Swiss would be a tangy option. Or reach for a classic sharp cheese for a bit of a bite in the bread. Any cheese will work for this recipe. Improvise for what you have on hand.
Is This Cornbread Recipe Sugar-Free
Yes, this recipe is sugar-free. You will use an artificial sweetener to add a hint of sweetness to your bread. I used a monk fruit sweetener but you are more than welcome to swap out for another type of sweetener you enjoy. Just ensure that you measure properly so that it doesn't over-sweeten the recipe if it has a different measurement.
What to Pair with Your Cornbread
- Low Carb Zuppa Toscana Soup | This soup would pair beautifully with the cornbread. Dip your cornbread right into the soup and soak up the flavorful broth.
- Slow Cooker Low Carb Meatballs | Another great pairing would be these meatballs. Tender and juicy meatballs are an absolute breeze to make thanks to your slow cooker.
- Keto Meatloaf | A fun and creative meatloaf recipe that is going to knock your socks off in the flavor department. I make this recipe all the time for dinner and it is always a hit.
How To Store Leftover Broccoli Cheddar Cornbread
You will want to store your cornbread in the fridge. Then when you want a slice you can eat chilled or toss in the microwave for a quick reheat. Or opt to warm it up in the oven by wrapping the bread in aluminum foil and letting it warm up. No matter how you serve it up leftover it is delicious!
Can You Freeze Low Carb Cornbread
You can indeed freeze any leftover cornbread you may have. Simply place in an airtight container or opt to store in a sealable bag. Then freeze for up to three months. Thaw on the counter or in the fridge the night before you plan to serve it up. Then eat at room temperature, chilled or warm up in microwave or oven.
- 2 cups broccoli florets, roughly chopped
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cup almond flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon granulated monkfruit sweetener
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9x9 square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
In a medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and chopped broccoli. Cover and cook, stirring as needed to avoid burning, until softened. Season with salt. Tip: To speed up the cooking process, you can add ¼ cup water but drain the broccoli well to remove excess water.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and sweetener.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs and heavy cream. Slowly add butter.
- Stir wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Add broccoli, onions, and cheese to the batter and stir to combine. Transfer
batter to baking dish and smooth the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the cornbread is golden.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 296Total Fat: 26gCarbohydrates: 9gNet Carbohydrates: 5gFiber: 4g
Nutrition facts are auto- populated by the app for this recipe card, numbers may vary. For best results, input your exact brand ingredients into a recipe analyzer like Verywell or MyFitnessPal.