Nothing screams comfort food better than a creamy bowl of homemade mac and cheese, This easy to make stove top broccoli cheddar shells dish is just that. An easy comfort food.
Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Shells & Cheese
Macaroni and cheese is absolutely one of the most favored comfort foods on the planet. It seems every time you add a smooth creamy cheesiness to a dish, people go crazy for it. Homemade macaroni and cheese is basically how I started getting the girls to eat vegetables.
Over the years I would make different variations, like this broccoli cheddar shells & cheese, and they would eat it up no questions asked. Now, had I put the broccoli on their plate next to mac and cheese- forget it.
This recipe happens to be a stove top recipe. I hear feedback from readers about they love homemade macaroni and cheese but just don't have the time to oven bake it or desire to slow cook it. Now, you will see below I have included a quick and easy way for you crunchy bread crumb lovers to still get that flavor. Best of both worlds here.
Here is a coupon to save on cheese!
How to make Broccoli Cheddar Shells
- 12 oz small shells, cooked drained and rinsed
- 1 stick real butter
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cup chopped broccoli
- 6 oz orange cheddar, shredded
- 6 oz extra sharp white cheddar, shredded
- Pinch salt & pepper
- In a large pot or dutch oven, melt butter over low heat.
- Add broccoli, cook 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in flour until broccoli is coated and flour has cooked out.
- Add cream, mix well, increase heat medium high. watch for cream to start bubbling. Stir often.
- When cream lightly boils, reduce to simmer and add cheese. Stir until smooth.
- Add shells, mix, heat through. Serve.
If you want a quick stove top method, but want the crunchy topping simply transfer the mac and cheese to a casserole dish.
Mix ½ cup bread crumbs with 1 tablespoon Olive oil (or butter, but I felt I had already used enough bad fats!)
Sprinkle on top, broil for 1-2 minutes. Watch closely, DO NOT LEAVE the oven. This goes FAST and they will burn if left too long.
Want more amazing comfort food recipes? Check out
More Amazing Creamy Cheese Recipes
Owner & Lead Recipe Developer for It's Simple! since 2015, where you will find our best Family Favorites & Keto Low Carb Dishes with Helpful Cooking Tips & Hints in each post. Many Thanks for Stopping By, Enjoy!