Semi-Homemade Funny Bones Cupcake Recipe
Our semi-homemade funny bones cupcake recipe is a decadent Drakes Funny Bones Copycat recipe. Unlike other Drakes Funny Bones Recipes, this one is a cupcake! One of my favorite, completely not guilt free, snacks is Drake's Funny Bones. If you are not familiar with them, they are a devil's food cake with a creamy peanut butter filling, covered in chocolate. Yup. Peanut Butter and Chocolate.
Where can I find Drake's Funny Bones?
You can find these tasty cakes at almost any grocery store and even online now! Nothing says it has to be Reese's to be fantastic. As much as we love some of the Drake's snacks, they have gotten kinda pricey. Recently, our local supermarket had them on sale for $2.99.
That is not a bad price, but sometimes it is just fun to make our own. Below is a semi-homemade recipe for a cupcake that will be sure to tickle your Drake's Funny Bones!
How is this recipe semi-homemade?
I never make any chocolate bakery item from scratch, I just do not have luck with it. I always feel like they are just not that "chocolatey". So this recipe uses the handy box mix. I did however make my own filling and frosting, by all means use the can frosting if you like. The peanut butter filling is easy enough there is no reason to short cut it.
Why is this peanut butter filling so good?
I know , right ! It is absolutely amazing. The thing that always had my heart about a funny bone was the filling. So we set out to recreate a similar peanut butter filling that would tickle our taste buds the same way. See, the thing about this peanut butter filling is that makes them so good is the creamy, almost icing like texture.
It is more thin then a frosting, but fluffier than an icing. If you have never had a funny bone cake then you don't know what you are missing!
Making our Drakes Funny Bones Copycat Recipe
If you try them out, let me know what you though! I would love to see pictures.
- 1 Box of Devil's Food Cake Mix - prepare according to the directions on the box
- For the filling :
- ½ stick of softened, not melted butter or margarine
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Cream the butter and peanut butter together until combined, slowly add in the confectioner sugar. I did this by hand, you can use a mixer if necessary.
- For the frosting:
- I use the Hersey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting Recipe. It is the best by far that I have ever had.
- "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING
- ½ cup 1 stick butter or margarine
- ⅔ cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.
- Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.
- Prepare your cupcake mix and bake according to package directions. Let cool completely
- Prepare your peanut butter filling using the recipe above and spoon into a pastry bag, sometimes I will use a storage bag and just clip the corner, but unfortunately with this recipe you can't. You need the hard plastic or metal tip to penetrate the cupcake to fill the middle.
- If you do not have a bag, you could try filling the cupcake pan half way, cook for half the time, spoon a small dab of peanut butter filling onto the top then cover with remaining cupcake batter cook remaining time.
- Fill all the cupcakes, careful not to overfill. Believe it or not you will be able to tell when doing it if you have enough filling. You can actually kind of see the cupcake swell bigger as you fill it.
- Frost with the chocolate frosting and then add a little touch of the peanut butter to the top
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 390Total Fat: 18g
Nutrition facts are auto- populated by the app for this recipe card, numbers may vary. For best results, input your exact brand ingredients into a recipe analyzer like Verywell or MyFitnessPal.
Owner & Lead Recipe Developer for It's Simple! since 2015, where you will find our best Family Favorites & Keto Low Carb Dishes with Helpful Cooking Tips & Hints in each post. Many Thanks for Stopping By, Enjoy!