Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings, a super easy Keto recipe that is lower in carbs making it a guilt free comfort food that is kid friendly and great for meal prep plus sides. Be sure to check the FAQs below the recipe card for more details.
Keto Chicken and Dumplings
Our easy version of traditional slow cooker chicken and dumplings is made specifically to fit both a low carb lifestyle and please those who do not eat low carb. The difference comes from the dumpling dough, which is made with almond flour in a manner in which they will taste traditional, but without the heavy carbs. The process is easy and the dumplings cook up perfectly.
Carbs in Chicken and Dumplings
A traditional serving of chicken and dumplings will pack a whopping 25g of carbs per serving, typically a large scoop of the stew with one medium dumpling. Our keto chicken and dumplings has 5 net carbs per serving and allows about 4 dumplings (though smaller). You get the satisfaction of the dish without the carbs.
What is the Origin of Chicken and Dumplings?
Chicken and Dumplings is a dish that goes back to the Great Depression era. Fill the bellies of the entire family cheap was the idea. It is my understanding that originally the dish came from Germany. There they used a type of egg noodle as a dumpling. Many countries have their own version of the dish, here in the United States slow cooker chicken and dumplings originated in the South.
How is a Dumpling made?
The classic dish consists of dumplings, a biscuit style dough placed on top of a stew or soup and steamed. When covered the heat cooks the dumplings from the top and bottom. The steam creates a light and fluffy texture, however they can have a bit of a mushy mouth feel.
Chicken and Dumplings Sides
Chicken and dumplings is a full rounded meal that does not need sides. But, Here are a few great sides dishes to compliment this dish. Please MAKE NOTE, some are keto and some are not.
- Keto Stuffing Recipe - on the side OR spoon the stew right over it in a bowl for a Thanksgiving style flavor and feel. Yum.
- Air Fryer Broccoli or Broccoli Tender , adding a vegetable like broccoli will lighten up the dish a bit.
- Instant Pot Turtle Cheesecake- not one of the chicken and dumplings sides but in my opinion dessert is necessary. This is NOT keto. Use the search for our keto cheesecakes.
- 2 lb. Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ Onion chopped
- ½ C. Celery chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Butter cut into pieces
- 1 tsp. Seasoned salt
- 1 tsp. Poultry seasoning
- 2 tsp. Minced garlic
- 2 C. Chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- DUMPLINGS INGREDIENTS
- 1 ½ C. Mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 oz. Cream cheese
- 1 C. Almond flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 Large egg
- ¼ tsp. Garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp. Xanthan gum
- Pinch of salt
- All the chicken to a slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, as well as the seasoned salt and poultry seasoning.
- Add in the onion, celery, minced garlic and butter that is cut into pieces.
- Pour the chicken broth over the mixture.
- Cook on high for 3 hours.
- Place the cream cheese and mozzarella cheese in a bowl that is microwave safe.
- Heat the cheeses for 30 seconds at a time until completely melted and well combined.
- Add the cheese mixture to a mixing bowl with the remaining ingredients for the dumplings. Blend until a smooth dough has formed.
- Wet your hands slightly, and form the dough into small dumplings. Place the dumplings into the crockpot, and cook on high for an additional hour.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 547Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 203mgSodium: 1090mgCarbohydrates: 8gNet Carbohydrates: 5gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 60g
Nutrition facts are auto- populated by the app for this recipe card, numbers may vary. For best results, input your exact brand ingredients into a recipe analyzer like Verywell or MyFitnessPal.
Yes! You can freeze this dish by spooning it into freezer safe container(s) and placing it in the freezer once cooled. Use within 2 months.
To reheat from the refrigerator, you can either heat individual servings in the microwave 1 minute at a time OR put in a sauce pot and reheat on low right on the stove. To reheat from frozen, thaw in the refrigerator first then proceed with above.
Owner & Lead Recipe Developer for It's Simple! since 2015, where you will find our best Family Favorites & Keto Low Carb Dishes with Helpful Cooking Tips & Hints in each post. Many Thanks for Stopping By, Enjoy!